Sunday, July 10, 2005

It's Clobberin' Time!

According to the Associated Press: "The latest superhero movie may have been just fantastic enough to snap Hollywood's longest modern losing streak at the box office. The comic-book adaptation "Fantastic Four" raked in $56 million during its first three days, apparently helping to end a swoon in which domestic movie revenues had been down 19 weekends in a row compared to last year's."

This is sobering news for my great friend Brad and brother Eric who, on this very page, refuted my notion that the "Fantastic Four" movie would open larger than the "Batman Begins" nice, little $49 million opening.

Brad and I take turns hosting Marvel movie premieres, which invaribly leads us to be the oldest folks at midnight showings. While I agree with Brad - and differ from fellow fanboy, Northwest Herald film critic Jeff Westhoff - that the "FF" movie left something to be desired in terms of the script, I did not think it deserved the ugly bashing witnessed nationwide. It was mostly enjoyable pablum for those who spent the better part of the past 40 years wondering what the Fantastic Four would look like on the big screen.

Of course, Brad and I, as we are want to do, took this to another level. After we watched the latest effort at midnight Thursday, we came back to my place to switch on the big screen to watch my bootlegged copy of the 1994 Roger Corman effort that was shelved and never officially released. The current version IS superior, depite the reviews,

The good news is that despite obvious script weaknesses, the "Fantastic Four" positioned itself perfectly for a terrific sequel! All it needs now is a competent script and different director! And, the Negative Zone!

More later!

Mark

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Glad to hear the Fantastic Four is doing so well. As for me, I totally wasted two perfectly good premium movie passes on The War of the Worlds....I know, I know...what was I thinking. Well, evidently I WASN'T thinking. What the heck is it with Spielberg? The movie was pretty stupid, save for the line delivered by Tim Robbins:

"I don't think we're on the same page Ray."

Spielberg just had to deliver a sapping ending that left me dumbfounded. A perfectly happy ending was NOT acceptable.

Anyway, I'm mixing a Tanqueray and tonic Mark, care for one?

Mark M. Sweetwood said...

Yes! Extra lime in mine, please!

:)

Eric Sweetwood said...

Lucky guess. Pet Rocks made money, too. It doesn't mean that they were worthwhile or that it wasn't a stupid idea. I consider the FF the "Pet Rock" or the "Mood Ring" or the "Dry Beer" or the "Clear Pepsi" of Superhero Films.

Mark M. Sweetwood said...

Eric, just pay your debt! I repeatedly said that my prediction was based on Marvel's superior marketing skills and timing. I was right and you and Brad were wrong! Now, pay up!

Mark

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us NFLShop.com Memorabilia
NFLShop.com