Monday, August 10, 2009

Mr. Sweetwood, For The Defense

My respectful letter in response to Marvel's attorney's cease and desist order:

Michael:

Thank you for your letter.

As a long-time customer and supporter of Marvel Entertainment, it certainly was not my intent to infringe upon Marvel's copyright. To the contrary, I think the various fan sites on the Internet do much to build Marvel's brand and keep it relevant and economically viable in the marketplace.

Certainly, marketing efforts, like the one prior to "Spiderman 3" in which Marvel Entertainment encouraged fans to build blogs and Web sites featuring preview clips from that film, introduced many of us to different ways to freely distribute popular film works via social networking.

The majority of the 9,500 views of the "Iron Man 2" trailer embedded on my site came directly as a result of the various retweeting of my original Twitter message to director Jon Favreau. His support of fan interest for this film is as innovative as it is absolutely admirable and I think it separates the Marvel brand from its competitors. Do what you must to protect your brand, but I would caution against doing so in ways that will negatively impact your core of loyal customers.

Per your request, the embedded clip of "Iron Man 2" that was shown at the San Diego Comic Con has been deactivated from www.marksweetwood.blogspot.com.

For your further information, my site's "Fair Use Policy" can be found here:
http://marksworlddisclaimer.blogspot.com

Please contact me if I can be of any additional service.

Very truly yours,

Mark


A fascinating 48 hours, for sure...

More later,


Mark

No comments:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us NFLShop.com Memorabilia
NFLShop.com