Wednesday, September 28, 2005

How I Spent My Summer Sabbatical

How I Spent My Summer Sabbatical

By Mark Sweetwood

I spent my summer sabbatical, or at least a portion of it, with my wife at Buffalo Wild Wings in Algonquin.

There, we watched the Cubs, enjoyed Bud Lite and fell in love. No, not with each other (we're already there) but with the NTN Network. Eventually, we learned that we could bring our laptops with us and plug into the wireless network for free!

In fact, it is from Buffalo Wild Wings that I write this.

NTN is the maker of those trivia games that you can play with a controller while questions pop up on a television screen. We decided to keep our brains active by showing up a couple of days a week for some vigorous brain exercising - along with beers, Cubs and wireless fun. The wonderful and talented Kelly became our friend and her psychic bartending abilities kept us refreshed. She was powerless with the Cubs situation as were we all.

Our self-made goal of each NTN round of Countdown or Wipe Out! was threefold: 1.) We had to earn the Player's Plus bonus; 2.) We had to score in five figures and 3.) We had to win (not that I am competitive or anything). More often than not, we achieved our goals! We eventually invited my parents and other friends top join us for fun. Most came away agreeing that our lifestyle had become uncontrollably decadent and that they could not keep up with us in trivia.

Fridays were always special because that was the day the crane game is filled at BWW. As most people are aware, I am the Crane Master (as well as Death Trilogy Commissioner). We now have about two dozen critters which need adopting. Call me obsessive, but I cannot pass up a filled crane game.

We've really never been "bar regulars" before and Kelly made me feel a bit like Norm on "Cheers" whenever I came in...

KELLY: What would you say to a glass of beer, Mark?
MARK: Going Down?

KELLY: What's shaking, Mark?
MARK: All 4 cheeks and a couple of chins.

KELLY: Hey Mr. Sweetwood, there's a cold one waiting for you.
MARK: I know, and if she calls, I'm not here.

KELLY: Can I draw you a beer, Mark?
MARK: No, I know what one looks like. Just pour me one.

KELLY: How's a beer sound, Mark?
MARK: I dunno. I usually finish them before they get a word in.

(All dialogue stolen/adapted from www.jokestogo.com which stoled them from "Cheers.")

Summer has given way to the emerging urgencies of the Fall. Our lifestyle is likely to change as employment is likely to rear its intrusive head once again. Kelly will see us less, our Players Plus points will accumulate more slowly and someone else will have to collect the crane bounty.

But we had a marvelous time, while it lasted.

More later!


Mark

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Oh yeah....we're Friday night regulars at the bar at the South Elgin Outback. We love our "girls" ..... bartenders Jackie, Jody and Vicki. They're awesome. And we've been regulars for awhile now, so we have our own boomerang (with our names engraved) hanging over the bar. There's alot to be said for the "Cheers" environment.

Back to work???? Bah Humbug!!!!!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us NFLShop.com Memorabilia
NFLShop.com