Friday, April 28, 2006

The War over "War" begins today!

In the days and weeks and months ahead, Neil Young's "Living With War" will be the most controversial, most talked-about CD in recent memory.

Like it, love it, hate it: You will not be able to escape it.

And it is not even in stores yet.

As of 2 a.m., I heard ol' Neil began to stream "Living With War" on his website. It will be available to download on iTunes next Tuesday, May 2, and in stores a week or so later. But, fellow-Blogspotter Mr. Young is allowing me to link to the music today right here:

Living With War

Give it a listen and leave your comments.

As you probably guessed, I will add my comments, too...

Music aside, for sheer marketing genius, this is one of of the best examples of organic marketing I've ever witnessed. And I will explore that aspect as well.

More later!


Mark

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

I'm not quite sure the war of "war" will be much of a war. Who's his audience? I can admit to being a huge Young fan the first time around. But like fashion, I skip it when it's been "rehashed and replated".

His message doesn't fit for me any longer. Our generation's no longer those starry-eye we-change-the-world-if-we-all-love-one-another. We're no longer reading Jonathon Lvingston Seagull, we're reading The Pentagon's New Map and Blueprint for Action. We're savvy enough to know that the everybody-lied-and-it's-all-a-big-conspiracy is simplistic trash talk.

I don't know, maybe his made-in-three-weeks garage band album will strike a chord with the younger set. I doubt it. We'll see if the power of the media and martketing can whip this up into some kind of firestorm, because I don't believe their's a real one brewing out there.

Neil Young? Blechhhh. He ALWAYS needed to take a damn bath and get with the program.

Suzanne said...

Oh, I'm sorry.....yes, it's marketing genius. But as much as Young would like to believe it's all about the message, it is of course, all about the money to be made.

Eric Sweetwood said...

I disagree with this poster, Mark. If Neil Young was "all about money," why make the Schoking Pinks album, or Trans, Or Tonight's The Night, or The Blue-Notes, or Life, or Mirror Ball, or Sleeps With Angels?

Neil Young is one of the few artists that has made his music his way and modified his style to remain fresh. It is well-known in the music circles that he has well over a dozen (if not dozens)of albums of material that he has shelved because he becomes sidetracked. Tonight's The Night, was not meant to be released, as he made a tribute for his addictions and the death of Danny Whetton (sp?) and someone found a tape at his house and friends encoraged him to release it. And that was in the mid 1970's.

He has tons and tons of stuff, as one of his bootleg sets of unreleased materials contains six CD's--I should have bought it when I had the chance. I honestly think this poster really does not own too much Young material--although the Hippie Dream song from Mirror Ball addresses some of the schlock of the 1970s ideals.

Bath? Nah. Seriously, Zanne, play the CD Ragged Glory and tell me how commercial it is? If you need a copy, email Mark and I will burn it for you.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us NFLShop.com Memorabilia
NFLShop.com