Friday, June 02, 2006

The Eagle Has Landed ... And Crashed

As composed, mostly, at 8:30 a.m. but not posted until 9:30 p.m.:

Boy, dial-up sucks.

It sucked at the La Quinta Inn and it sucked at my parents house, having arrived there at 7:30 p.m. last evening.

Yesterday represented nine hours of power driving putting me in the driver's seat for 22 of the previous 32 hours setting a new personal record that I never plan to best. I already told Mary that after I fly back to finalize the move and return with her and the cats that she is doing most of the driving... The parents greeted me in true Southern style: Champagne and chicken wings!

Ya might might be a redneck if yer chicken wing gets caught in yer champagne flute... In some circles, that was hailed as comedy. In others, it was a sign of the death of comedy. I'm nothing if not versatile.

The wings were outstanding! It was great to see the parents and they even helped get me ready. In tandem, they ironed my shirt...

Today I get to meet the Daytona staff of Hometown News and then head to meet the Melbourne staff. I am excited!

I listened to the Ken Blanchard (of "One Minute Manager" fame) audiobook "The Leadership Pill" as part of yesterday's nine-hour iPod entertainment extravaganza and was thoroughly impressed. He summed up the principles of effective leadership far better than I ever could. It's a must-have for every manager's bookshelf (or iPod). For me it was a great reaffirmation that my principles - as drilled into me by mentors and the school of hard knocks - are sound.

Thanks to all for your emails and blog posts and phone calls and instant messages, etc. We're setting some records as far as traffic over here on Mark's World and I am completely amazed. When I am less exhausted I will answer your emails and post a more complete update...

Now, I am the victim of a caffeine crash. That's what happens when your trip is fueled by Coke Black and more Coke ... and you stop...

More later,


Mark

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Glad you arrived safe. Looking forward to interesting adventures. Please..... no gator encounters, OK? It seems they're on a bad behavior binge in the sunshine state.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us NFLShop.com Memorabilia
NFLShop.com