Tuesday, June 20, 2006

You Have Questions! I Have Answers!

Well, let's check the mail bag and see if there is anything I can clear up for all of you loyal Mark's World visitors...

Here's one entitled "Are you getting my emails?" Another is entitled: "You get fired already?" Next is "Whatever Happened to Mark Sweetwood?"

These and the very many others are all fair questions. I AM getting your emails. I HAVEN'T been fired, yet. And Mark Sweetwood IS alive and well and living in sunny Florida.

I probably owe you all a bit of an explanation. After a 1,400-mile, two-day trek I showed up for work on my first full day in Florida June 2 and new boss Tammy Raits introduced me to the Daytona staff of Hometown News and then gave me a quick tour of my new surroundings in the beautiful Melbourne area. When I arrived at my new temporary home, I crashed for a long sleep and then began a new routine:

Work. Sleep. Figure out where to live. Repeat.

Since piling up 1,400 miles to get here, in two weeks I have added an additional 1,100 miles simply by going to work and then driving around.

Where am I staying? Well, I'm not really an editor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Thank you. Thank you very much... Sadly, many of you waited two weeks for that joke...

So, I decided to back off Mark's World for a couple weeks because, like many of you, I have a job to go to each day. Blogs are for the unemployed and the dreamers! Actually, I just needed to focus on learning a new system, a new staff's name, directions to where I have to be every day and all sorts of important stuff that had to displace useless information from the past year like "'Cheaters' is on at noon."

Did you know they changed the AP Stylebook since I last looked at one in 1993? Seriously!

Now that I am getting a little more comfortable, I will continue to get caught up on my emails and I pledge to update this site more frequently. I was on quite a tear before I left Illinois and it is obvious that a few of you just got spoiled.

Seriously, I appreciate the interest and the love that flows from all of you and I am lucky to have so many friends, relatives and acquaintances who care enough to relentlessly accuse me of being a lazy shirker.

I am taking some pictures to augment the site so stay tuned!

Meanwhile, there has been one small change in protocol here at Mark's World. In the past, I allowed any and all anonymous rabble to post comments here. Well, a nameless person thought it would be cute to post something here that frankly was as confounding as it was amusing. I wasn't sure what it was. Hence, the origin of the word "confusing." And, with the increased traffic, we were getting ads from "spambots" posted among the replies.

So, to keep everything on the up-and-up, the Mark's World executive committee has voted and you now must register to post here. Sorry for the hassle. Don't worry, it's painless. If you don't trust the system, simply email me your Social Security (Wait, let me look that up ... Yes, it is still capitalized...) number and I will handle the registration for you.

More later!


Mark

6 comments:

sdazzle said...

I loved Benny Goodman bars. But seriously, Olderwiser, didn't you Babe Ruth name his candy bar? I would hope the Tigers would sweep the Cubs. The mystery poster was probably someone with a big square head, who shall be named, Frankenposter. Blogging only for the unemployed and dreamers.....hmmm, maybe I should start a blog site. Mark, have you started writing a column yet? Who's going to edit to stay under 12-14 inches. ;-)

sdazzle said...

It should read, didn't you help Babe Ruth..........forgot to proof.

Eric Sweetwood said...

"Blogs are for the unemployed and the dreamers!"

Or recovering heart surgery patients--sheesh. I am employed and I quit dreaming long ago.

Eric Sweetwood said...

By the way, Elvis fan, you might wish to check out Rhino Records website. There is a new Rockabilly CD set coming out next week--Rockin' Bones--50's Punk and Rockabilly. 101 tunes from the best of the best. Mine is pre-ordered. Also, yesterday marked the last of the Superman Animated Series DVD's and Season 3 and 4 of the Adventures of Superman television show for your DVD collection. Not ads, just keeping you informed. The animated series was incredible. I was up until 2:00 AM watching it last night/this morning.

Suzanne said...

May I remind you, as in academia, a blogger must "publish or perish".

As far as Bloggers being unemployed or dreamers, I'm fully employed and maintain two blogs. I guess that makes me a super-nerd. It does save your sanity when you're stuck "Back at the Ranch". You know the ranch.

It seems you've mistaken our morbid fascination and hard gained loyalty with interest and love. Make sure that doesn't happen again, OK?

Honestly, I'm glad to know that you're settling in. I was going to offer my copy of the style handbook, left behind on the lunchroom bookshelf when someone cleaned out their office to move into the BIG ranch house.

sdazzle- start a blog, really. It's a cheap form of psychotherapy and will do wonders for your psyche. Please know that your presence is missed, back at the ranch.

Now I'm off for figure out who Frankenpost might be.

Mark M. Sweetwood said...

Wow, as Dan Rather might say, the posting here is as wild as a Texan fence builder on Cinco de Mayo...

I am glad to see some responsible comments and actual humor. Frankenposter should get a clue.

Neil and Daz sharing the love! Beautiful!

No column yet, Daz. But when I do, I find the rules here are different. I have to keep them below 48 inches which is still going to be tough...

I have some of the original Superman cartoons on my iPod thanks to a free vintage video podcast service, Eric. They are awesome!

And Suzanne, I was definitely aware that there was a faction out there filled with morbid fascination... :The paparazzi hound me at every turn...

:) Thanks for adding fun to the blog, all!

Mark

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us NFLShop.com Memorabilia
NFLShop.com