Saturday, December 09, 2006

We Have Liftoff!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us (Courtesy of NASA)


I gotta tell ya, it is pretty cool to walk out your front door and watch the Space Shuttle streak into space!

The first thing I ever remember wanting to be was an astronaut, and I have remained a closet NASA geek over the years. Frankly, I am in heaven here on the Space Coast.

I watched the previous Shuttle liftoff from atop the Mambo's Bar roof at the Cocoa Beach Holiday Inn. And Mary and I caught a glimpse of the one before that from Kissimmee when she visited last summer.

But THIS one was spectacular! The horizon glowed gold and then the Shuttle appeared and roared into the sky. We could even see the solid fuel tanks separate as we watched with the neighborhood on a clear, 60-plus-degree night.

The forecast for Sunday: 74 degrees and sunny. Monday: 77 degrees.

We are still getting moved in. Today's purchase was for a new Frigidaire washer and dryer. We decided on the quieter, more energy efficient front-load models from Appliance Direct, the local appliance supercenter with the most annoying commercials. We got a great deal (not even Internet sellers could compete) and they threw in a free year's supply of Tide detergent and Bounce fabric sheets, as a bonus Plus we like the brand, having installed a Frigidaire dishwasher and fridge in the last place.

How annoying are the Appliance Direct commercials? Check one out for yourself:

Annoying Appliance Direct Ad

Makes me wanna go slap a truck... But they have a skilled staff, no hard sell and great prices. The set was delivered and installed within two hours. Which still gave us time to Christmas shop. Ah... Gift cards...

Later we visited City Tropics Bistro, just over the Melbourne Causeway for some snacks and some liquid refreshments...

City Tropics

The tree gets tricked out Sunday. The Bears will play on Monday. And since I am not way up north: Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

More later,


Mark

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

How fantastic! I'll be a NASA geek to my grave. In fact we've got the NASA channel on our satellite setup and I watch their updates all the time. My kids both went to U.S. Space Camp...but to see a live launch....something on my "Ten Things To Do Before I Die" list.

Did you get a glimpse of Comet McNaught? I'm totally pissed off because the Chicago weather was dreadful and we didn't even get a peek.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us NFLShop.com Memorabilia
NFLShop.com