Sunday, September 07, 2008

Bear Down!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Ah, yes, the start of another NFL season. In September, hope springs (summers? falls?) eternal and every team starts out undefeated and at the top of its division with visions of Lombardi Trophies dancing in each player's respective head. Now, how the season will end, well, that's why they play it all out on the field.

Now, I am known for my annual, dead-on Bears predictions. For example, last year I predicted "The Bears will be plagued by injuries and will be unable to stop the run, hence they will end the season 7-9."

So sure was I, that I launched this Web site:

Super Bowl-Bound Bears

Well, OK, that wasn't my real prediction, but it's not like you were going to go back and check, anyway...

This year? The Bears defense scares me. No, not because they are so fierce and awe-inspiring. Quite the opposite. They showed us NOTHING during the preseason and I fear that the real problem is not injuries or Brian Urlacher's off-the-field distractions or Mike Brown's fragile state. No, the real problem might be the schemes of defensive coordinator Bob Babich.

Babich was brought in by Coach Lovie Smith after Super Bowl XLI NOT because Ron Rivera had done a poor job, but because Babich was Smith's buddy. And if the preseason was any precursor, Babich has yet to figure out how to coach these guys...

So, I hold my breath and predict:

A 6-10 season causing me to find all sorts of mean nicknames/phrases for Bob Babich, including:

• Son of Babich!
• Bomb-bomb-bomb-bomb-bomb-Babich!
• Your inability to stop the run is Babichin'!

However, for now, I am, uhm, optimistic...

More later,


Mark

No comments:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us NFLShop.com Memorabilia
NFLShop.com