Thursday, July 02, 2009

Doh! A Deer!

Wednesday morning, I was getting ready for work when Clyde the Cat started to make a commotion near the picture window facing the backyard. Then I heard the dogs barking next door.

I looked out across our freshly stained deck and there she was: The giant doe we had spied briefly last week. She was under our apple trees, getting ready to check out the salt lick in neighbor Joe's yard. Mary grabbed the camera and I got the first shot with the door closed.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

When I slid opened the door to avoid the screen/glare, I attempted one shot, below, but Clyde tried to rush out, hence the blur.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Then, when I looked up again, the doe was gone.

Our neighbor on the other side, Tony, has apparently seen the companion buck. No little fawns have been spied, yet. We first spotted the doe while enjoying a beer on the deck after mowing last week. I always feel like I am being watched when I mow the back 40. Turns out, I guess I was.

Joe's wife Janet reports that she has seen some raccoons near our deck. We can add them to the stray cats, groundhogs, chipmunks, rabbits, squirrels, assorted birds and an owl who prowl the Brady House compound's giant yard. All of the creatures keep our cats entertained.

More later,


Mark

1 comment:

Sports Blogger said...

Shoot the bastards before they destroy your yard. They eat just about everything in mine every year. Have NO mercy! Trust me on this one.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us NFLShop.com Memorabilia
NFLShop.com