Monday, January 16, 2006

Just Wait 'Til Next Year!

Knowing of my great love for the Chicago Bears, a few folks have asked why I have not blogged more about them during this season of miracles.

I'm not sure why, to be honest. I thought this was a fun season - despite its sloppy end on Sunday. I guess in the back of my mind, I have been wondering whether the 2005 Bears were more like the 1984 Bears or the 1985 Bears. I think I got my answer. And as disappointed as I was with the loss to the Carolina Panthers, I think that bodes well for next year.

At least when we say "Just wait 'til next year!" it actually means something this year...

As in 1984, because the season ended with a playoff loss, I was left with the feeling that the team had finally congealed into something pretty special. I think the defense was very good and could approach greatness next year. I think the offense found a special leader with Rex Grossman (and I was particularly proud of his post-game comments and leadership vs. Peyton Manning who acted like a petulant child) and a great running back with Thomas Jones. The offensive line is one or two players away from being in the top echelon of the NFL.

That said, many of their weaknesses which they need to improve on to attain the next level were exposed Sunday. The short list:

• Coaching experience. Lovie Smith can dismiss all of the obvious coaching miscues in the game, but they were evident to even the casual observer. The game plan was skewed (run the ball, damn it!) offensive plays were coming in too slowly and the right adjustments were not being made. On the defensive side, I think Ron Rivera's coaching inexperience at the playoff level was exposed: Substitutions were awkward, people seemed to be out of place and the last two Panther touchdowns were thrown to players who were not covered. Rivera might be touted as the next great head coach in some circles, but I think he's a year or two away.

• I'd bring in some competition for punter Brad Maynard during camp this summer. Surprisingly, special teams overall Sunday graded out a "D" in my book.

• My sense is that Muhsin Muhammad is never going to make me forget about Willie Gault or even Tom Waddle. He seems to lack both speed AND heart - though he does have a mouth. He was quite vocal about quarterback Kyle Orton's game but has yet to explain the drops after Rex stepped back in as the starter. The Bears need another blazing wideout (or two) to complement Bernard Berrian who seems to be coming into his own.

• The Bears defensive secondary ended the season beat up and beat out. Of the cornerbacks, Jerry Azumah was hurt too much and Charles "Peanut" Tillman's play was increasingly erratic. On the safety side of the ball, Mike Brown was clearly injured worse than the Bears let on and Mike Green is just not very good. In the Panthers game, the Bears were apparently forced to pull a fan out of the stands named Chris Thompson to stumble onto the field and allow Steve Smith to score untouched. They need some muscle here and the emergence of Nathan Vasher is a plus - but not enough. A good area to focus on in the free agent market?

• I would still like to see the Bears employ a quality tight end.

• Draft and free-agent focus? If the Bears were to draft a guard or tackle early and spend lots more free agent money on the offensive line, I would not complain.

OK, I'll stop now before this "short list" gets too long. It was a fun ride this season with hints of greatness to come. The Bears gave fans more than we expected (especially after the 1-3 start) and showed a lot of grit and character. It was actually fun to be a Bears fan again. Plus, any year that we beat those miserable Packers twice is almost equal to a Super Bowl year for me...

Want a song to cheer you up today? Go here and turn up your speakers:

Bear Down!

More later!



Mark

1 comment:

Gilly said...

Hey Mark. Great post. I watched that game (geographically, I couldn't take a side... my team has been dead) and thought the Bears defense played their hearts out. For my money, they had the best D in the league this year.

By the way, don't know if I can quit smoking. I've never quit anything in my life.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us NFLShop.com Memorabilia
NFLShop.com