Sunday, January 22, 2006

Random Thoughts

A few bullet points during a time out from many projects (job search, books, playoff watching, surfing ... in no particular order). In other words, some things I think I think...

• Target has had an interesting advertising concept on aol.com. For several weeks there was a clickable ad that read: "No Paper? No Problem." When you clicked the banner, you found a web version of their Sunday insert.

Now, I just think that is kind of a snarky ad, from the newspaper industry's point of view. I am a BIG fan of Target, don't get me wrong. But I guess I don't understand the need to bite the hand that has sent potential consumers your way for so many years. It IS a big problem if you are not reading a newspaper! (Or, at least, that is the industry view.) It is almost as big of a problem if you aren't shopping at Target! And you can bet if newspapers began a campaign "Hate Target? Shop Local!" campaign for the mom & pop's out there, the red-and-white retailer would feel diminished.

I guess I would see it differently if Target had paid to have that ad each Sunday on the website of every newspaper that carried its inserts. Anyway, as it turns out, it's a moot point. The new clickable Target ad today:

"See the EXTRA in-store deals not found in the printed weekly ad."

Gee, a NEW way to diminish newspapers... Odd.

Check Out The Target Ad

• New ideas from iTunes.

My interest in the iTunes phenomenon is shared by many judging by the posts and the email. Just for fun, here are my current music suggestions from iTunes, based on my, ah, unique listening habits:

SONGS
Sunny Came Home - Shawn Colvin
Kuuipo Onaona - Pua Almeida
Carnival - Natalie Merchant
(You Don't Know) How Glad I Am - Nancy Wilson
Helena - My Chemical Romance
Sex and Candy - Marcy Playground
Cool - Lou Busch & His Orchestra
Gold Digger (featuring Jamie Foxx) - Kanye West
La Nave del Olvido - Jose Jose y Oquesta
Feels Like the First Time - Foreigner
100 Years - Five for Fighting
I Miss You (Alternate Take 1) - Elvis Presley
White Flag - Dido
Mr. Tambourine Man - The Byrds
The Blob - Aqualads

ALBUMS
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits - Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn - Pink Floyd
Goats Head Soup - Rolling Stones
Kerplunk - Green Day
The Very Best of Cream - Cream
Violent Femmes: Deluxe Edition - Violent Femmes

Another interesting selection of songs - though I believe Shaun Colvin, Natalie Merchant and Dido are all the same person. "The Blob" song sounds cool as did "Sex and Candy." On one hand - Foreigner and The Byrds. On the other - Kanye West and My Chemical Romance. I am nothing if not a man of diverse interests...

• Super Bowl XL

It's just me talking, but I think the Seattle Seahawks vs. the Pittsburgh Steelers matchup is gonna make a rockin' Super Bowl. I also think that after what Seattle did to shut down Carolina Panthers' star Steve Smith, Chicago Bears Defensive Coordinator Ron Rivera looks a little less than either a genius or head-coach material.

• Waikiki Tease

No, this is not a song - although it could be. Hmmm... I think I could riff on that for a bit...

I know what you're saying
That you're trying so hard to please.
Trying to make amends.
Trying to appease.
But each night when it's dark I'm lonely again
My Waikiki Tease.

© 2006 MMS Productions

OK, it took me longer to find that copyright symbol than it did to write those stirring lyrics. Can anyone set them to music? Where was I? Oh, the drink. Friday night I surfed the web for a new rum drink and came across the "Waikiki Tease." Here's the scoop:

Ingredients
1 oz. Dark Rum
3 oz. Orange Juice
2 oz. Pineapple Juice
Pour all ingredients over ice in a glass. Stir.

Now, I just tripled all the ingredients and did that three times and came up with the pitcher version (27 oz. of orange juice, 18 oz. of pineapple juice and 12 oz. of rum). Purists and mathematicians will point out that the rum did not increase in exact proportion. These folks know nothing of the power of rum!

Because I like to experiment, I used the new Dole pineapple-mango juice. And for a third of the rum, I substituted coconut rum. It's a winning combination!

You know what goes with a good party drink? Good party music! What's better than Green Day at a party? I have no idea... Direct from their very own website:

Green Day!


More later!



Mark

4 comments:

Eric Sweetwood said...

"Another interesting selection of songs - though I believe Shaun Colvin, Natalie Merchant and Dido are all the same person. "The Blob" song sounds cool as did "Sex and Candy." On one hand - Foreigner"

Either eclectic or they think you are an older lesbian. Sorry, could not resist the joke.

Goat's Head Soup is nearly the worst Stones album ever--Dirty Work may beat it, but not by much--and I do not count Metamorphesis. My God, this thing must be on random--no one woud buy that horrid Stones album. Piper At The Gates of Dawn--that's bad EVEN for Pink Floyd. Violent Femmes rock. See if you can figure out what Blister In The Sun is about. (Hint: Pictures of Lily and Dreaming From The Waist both by the Who have the same meaning--as well as Turning Japanese from The Vapors.)

Target is merely reaching a different media outlet. Sadly, people do not read the paper as much as they should. In a random poll in my classes (173 bloody kids) my 7th hour class of 30 had only seventeen households that subscribe to a daily paper. I blame the 'Net, CNN, and Fox--MOSTLY FOX--for 24 hours per day of "news" (the quotes again refer to National Fox as it is less news and more opinion of the platitudes of President Bush supporters). We like our paper because of the emphasis on local flair and I would suggest that if you did a study, more small town markets (or "cities" under 150 thousand) subscribe to daily papers than larger cities with larger city news on TV.

Oh, and leave Rivera alone. They were foolish enough not to cover Steve Smith by double teaming him because (a) they had too many dinged up players in the secondary, (b) the defensive line had no pressure on Jake D. and (c) the week off did not help as they were not pumped or any longer hungry. It was as if their goal was to win the division and then they accomplished it and went into hibernation.

Gilly said...

You should try doing them like frozen margaritas and calling it a "Waikiki Freeze." A lame drink name, I know, but you can't blame a guy for trying.

I'm glad someone spoke up about the sneaky lawyers' tricks that Target is pulling with that ad. That is so sneaky, it's bad. I go so far as to dub it a 'digital ambulance chaser's game.'

As far as their music picks for you this 'go round', I'd say stick to the Floyd, ditch the rest, and throw it to The Byrds.

MG.

Mark M. Sweetwood said...

I understand what Target is doing, I just think there is a way to do it without coming off like it is denigrating its print partners.

Suzanne said...

That music list is making my head spin....ecletic is not quite the word.

Here's a drink for you, actually it's a shot.

Pit Bull on Crack

1 oz. each of:

Tequila
Jagermeister
Rumple Minze Peppermint Liquer
Bacardi rum

Now THAT will grow hair on your chest. CHEERS!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us NFLShop.com Memorabilia
NFLShop.com