Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Cash, Bears, Bradley, Beers, Bears

These are a few of my favorite things...

Some quick hits as we bid farewell to the first twelfth of 2006:

Rosanne Cash (former beau of Nick Lowe; Lowe wrote "The Beast in Me" for her dad, Johnny) has released a new CD, "Black Cadillac," that is getting major play and positive reviews. AOL allowed users to play the entire collection over the weekend and I found it to be extremely enjoyable. It reminded me a bit of Lisa Marie Presley's first CD. You can check out the details on Cash's website here:

RosanneCash.com

Play the title cut from her CD, "Black Cadillac," here:

Black Cadillac

During his Sirius radio show the other day, Howard Stern recommended a documentary movie called "Grizzly Man." The movie recounts the travails of Timothy Treadwell who spent 13 summers in Alaska living among grizzly bears until one ate him and his girlfriend. Mary recalled the story from a Vanity Fare article.

I queued it up on the ol' Blockbuster account and "Grizzly Man" was here in a couple of days. It was quite a fascinating story, frankly. Treadwell videotaped the last five summers and snippets were incorporated into the documentary which featured interviews with friends and family about this rather flamboyant character. A strange moment: The attack on him at his camp was recorded by a camera with its lens on. The director chose to only show himself listening to what must have been a grisly grizzly attack rather than share audio excerpts.

Now, curiosity got the best of me: I didn't necessarily want to listen to him scream as he was mauled and eaten alive. I was interested in whether he recanted his love for wild, dangerous bears during the attack, however...

This is NOT a movie for Steven Colbert. Read more about it here:

GrizzlyManMovie.com

Watch an eerily prescient excerpt from "The Simpsons" about bear attacks here:

Ranger Ned

Like me, Treadwell was a Bradley University product, by the way. He arrived on a swimming scholarship under his given name, Timothy Drexler but quit in 1977 after an injury. I arrived in 1978 under NO scholarship. His experience drove him to bears; my experience drove me to beers. He probably drove a Lincoln; I definitely had a professor named Kennedy. The parallels are interesting...

Finally, what to make of the Super Bowl? I gotta go with the team that seems to have the most momentum, better defense and is lead by a coach who has actually won a Super Bowl: The Seattle Seahawks. I never thought I'd ever write that sentence. Go with the Seahawks over the Pittsburgh Steelers in an interesting game that ends 34-24.

Interesting game ... But nothing like the best Super Bowl of all time: XX! Relive those amazing Super Bowl Bears (the good, non-human-eating variety of Bears although you couldn't convince Steve Grogan of that) over at Answers.com:

The Shufflin' Crew


More later,


Mark

1 comment:

Gilly said...

Grizzly Man was incredible. I love Werner Herzog's films.

Whatever you do, don't forget to shit-talk the commercials during Gameday this Sunday. I am still sincerely hoping for once -just once!- that we get decent ads during the Superbowl for a change.

MG.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us NFLShop.com Memorabilia
NFLShop.com