Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Bear North!

Only ONE earth-shattering event could pry my large ass out of its comfortable Florida setting: The 10th Annual Chicago Bears Fan Convention!

The convention is this weekend and Mary and I will be there.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usBears Fan Convention

While others were scrambling to make plans for Super Bowl XLI after the Bears squeaked by the Seattle Seahawks last January, I studied the options. Sure, we were close to Miami, in terms of proximity, but even cheap seats then would have cost us $5,000-$6,000. Add another $1,500-$2,000 for tickets to the NFL experience and one kickbutt Saturday night party. Then there were the hotels. For four nights, even a low-end one was gonna run $1,500-$2,000. Plus food. And alcohol. In the end, we could have spent upwards of $10,000 for the total Super Bowl experience.

Or...

I checked out the Bears Web site at the same time and noticed tickets were on sale for the convention. I nailed the tickets through TicketMaster and got the room through Hilton at the special convention rate for three nights. I watched airline prices for a few weeks until American Airlines offered to fly us back for $127 each, round trip.

By the time the Bears destroyed the New Orleans Saints to win the NFC championship, the convention was sold out. Then the Bears - and the fans - got washed out in the Miami rain by the Indianapolis Cheatin' Colts. My decision looked smarter with each passing day: A great Bears experience for less than 1/10th the cost of Super Bowl XLI.

I called ahead and they are clearing any remnants of "winter" from the downtown area. I've asked for outdoor temperatures of a least 60 degrees and it appears that will be accommodated, as well. I am only packing shorts and Bears jerseys.

Now, for those not attending the convention, I will be trying out my new digital camera for coverage that will begin here Saturday. And I will be getting all of the interviews from those top Super Bowl superstars like Lance Briggs, Tank Johnson, Thomas Jones, Justin Gage, Alphonso Boone, Ian Scott, Ron Rivera... Oh, wait. Well, Rex Grossman will be there as will Gayle Sayers, although it seems like sacrilege to include both in the same sentence. Other current and former Bears attending, according to the Bears Web site:

Mark Anderson
Kurt Becker
Mark Bradley  
Doug Buffone 
Copeland Bryan
Ronnie Bull 
Airese Currie
Richard Dent 
Rashied Davis 
Allan Ellis 
Dusty Dvoracek  
Shaun Gayle
Tyler Everett
Kris Haines
Antonio Garay 
Glen Kozlowski
Roberto Garza
Steve McMichael
Brian Griese**
Jim Morrissey
Rex Grossman
Jim Osborne 
Chris Harris
Thomas Sanders  
Mike Hass    
Gale Sayers
Devin Hester
Bob Thomas
Israel Idonije 
Calvin Thomas 
Leon Joe
Steve Walsh
Olin Kreutz
James "Big Cat" Williams 
Patrick Mannelly  
Tim Wrightman 
Terrence Metcalf 
Fred Miller   
Muhsin Muhammad
Brandon Rideau
John St. Clair 
Dante Wesley
Rodriques Wilson

Hmmmm... Bob Thomas. I think I will spend some more quality time with him; maybe try to figure out what was REALLY behind the most grievous, most heinous act that I've witnessed in my 47 years on the planet: That missed field goal on Nov. 21, 1982 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. His shank caused the Bears to miss the playoffs in that strike-shortened season. He has some atoning ...

Meanwhile, where is Brian Urlacher, Tommie Harris, Cedric Benson, Mike Brown, Adewale Ogunleye, et al? Well, OK, I can see not having Mike Brown there: He might get caught in the crush of fans and get injured, again.

Rim Shot

Thank you. Good crowd. Good crowd.

But, seriously folks, Mike Brown is the one player who makes Rex Grossman look like a nominee for the "Iron Man" award.

Rim Shot

Man, why didn' I think of the rim shot button a long time ago...?

That Lovie Smith had quite a year: First black coach to win the NFC Championship; first black coach to be out-coached by a black coach in the Super Bowl...

Rim Shot

Wow!! This can get addictive. Anyway, we're getting ready for the big trip. Judging from blogs of fans who have attended the convention in years past, a good strategy is to eschew the long autograph lines and hang out in the hotel bar. I'm down with that ... this is our Spring Break!

More later,


Mark

3 comments:

Eric Sweetwood said...

Tsk, tsk Tsk...you are so "money oriented" are you not? Look, I went to the Super Bowl and tickets were...free (having a rich brother-in-law is nice--something I may miss). Staying in a CONDO in Orlando was...free (although I kicked in $100.00). T-shirt $36.00; flight $404 round trip; Hat $36.00; taking Jeff to Universal Studios Island of Paradise $85.00; meeting former Bear players and fans and experincing the NFL--Priceless; Getting soaked to the bone watching that inept team lose because their defense sucks and Rex Grossman couldn't throw a pass to a prostitute (rim shot) cost me about $700.00. Could I stay in Illinois and go to Bear Fan day or whatever (?), oh sure I could--I mean it is my Spring Break and all, but I have chosen a different path. I support this team with as little financial obligations as possible. By the way BEARS--SIGN LANCE (insert your favorite explative here) AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. So forgive me if I do not undertand your financial "savvy" or your blind patronage to this rag-tag group of Teddy Bears as you scourage the floor and beg them to honor you with their esteemed pressence as you grovel and lick the boots of the McCaskeys of the world. No sir, this I shall not do after that pitiful performance in Miami. In fact, I feel the greatest pity for you and Mary, trekking to Illinois to grow more despondent. I mean, here my brother-in-law felt my company was worthy, and my own brother, MY OWN BROTHER would not take me--no this is not Sour grapes, this is vinegar that once was wine, baby (rim shot).

Oh and by the way, I need a Hester, Plank, Rueban Brown, Tait, Alex Brown, Mike Brown, and Lovie Autograph... Thanks in advance--love ya! (rim shot).

Have fun.

Suzanne said...

Holy cow, do I detect some sibling rivalry? Don't worry Mark I think I heard Eric say, "Mom always loved you best."

:^)

Eric Sweetwood said...

I am the "Robert" to Mark's "Raymond." Heh heh heh heh. (rim shot)

To be fair, Mark felt the guilt and asked me to go with him as he could find me a ticket, but I declined the offer.

Oh, Mark, get me "An Anderson" if it is available. Thanks!!!!!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us NFLShop.com Memorabilia
NFLShop.com