Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Welcome to Thurber Country

Well, the e-mail bin actually scared me today: There's now a mass e-mailing for the June 10 Thurber Treat featuring my attempt at a short, funny bio I was asked to submit.

Today's realization: Apparently, people are paying actual money for the opportunity to listen to me (and two far more capable writers) read their works.

This concept had not previously crossed my mind. Quickly, that realization morphed to this thought: If you pay to watch something, you have the right to boo or toss uneaten picnic food at the general direction of the podium if you are not amused.

Yikes.

Luckily, I've already made many friends with the courageous members of the Columbus Police Department. Maybe they'll form a protective cordon around me. I could always sneak back into the house and set off the alarm...

Anyway, the PDF of the invite looks like this:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Now, curious, I googled the Thurber Treat to see what a typical crowd of jeering, food-throwing literary critics looks like during a Thurber Treat Picnic...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Oh, no. They look ready to pounce. I'll be surrounded...

More later,


Mark

1 comment:

Sports Blogger said...

An excellent opportunity for the world to see THE Mark Sweetwood in all his pontificating (and assuredly comic) glory.

I hope Mary is in training mode and will be primed and ready to go with the AV equipment and that there will be a full viewing available on Mark's World in due course.

Good Luck!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us NFLShop.com Memorabilia
NFLShop.com