Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My Life And Good Times

COLUMBUS — Well, the Thurber Treat event could not have been more fun.

A crowd of about 150-200 fans of James Thurber and the ongoing efforts of the Thurber House packed a nearby cafetorium to hear the three winners of the Thurber Treat kick off the 2009 Literary Picnic season by reading their works. We were chosen after submitting our tales of our "unforgettable experiences" at the Thurber House and we were rewarded as winners of the Thurber Treat prize.

Playwright Noell Wolfgan Evans shared his hysterical account of how he faced the prospect of growing old while sitting in his car outside of the Thurber House listening to "classic" rock. Martha Miller, a long-time Thurber House volunteer, shared the story of her night as she responded to an alarm that sounded at the house while a writer-in-residence was living there. And I shared my tale of that November 2005 day when our visit to the house escalated into a police call.

It was a fantastic evening and I was just very grateful to play a role. Most importantly, I received a certificate that I will frame and place in a very prominent spot in our home. Though the event was moved to nearby cafetorium because of threatening weather, Mary and I recreated the reading on the Thurber House porch afterwards.

I will share more details later, but the battery in my computer just gave me a warning sign that the night is over (by quitting mid-thought). So, here are a couple of images from an unforgettable evening:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
JOHNNY DILORETTO HANDS ME THE THURBER TREAT

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
HOW MY READING WOULD HAVE LOOKED IF DELIVERED FROM THE THURBER HOUSE PORCH

More later,


Mark

No comments:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us NFLShop.com Memorabilia
NFLShop.com