Sunday, March 12, 2006

The Cure for the Common Cold

As previously documented, I am addicted to iTunes. I love everything about it from its functionality to its intuitiveness. Oh yeah, I like the tunes, too.

Here is something else I've been playing with in my free time (which seemingly grows shorter by the day): The "music genome project" at

Pandora.Com .

If you like to listen to music and you don't necessarily want to pay for it, this is a site for you. Essentially, you plug your earphones into Mac (or lesser computer), hit the site and type in the name of your current favorite song. Right now, "Love Me Like You" by the Magic Numbers is topping my personal Hot 100 list. The site then plays that song for you and based on that particular listening habit will begin serving up song after song in a similar genre.

So, here is what happened: "Love Me Like You" was followed by "7:30" by the Pernice Brothers which was followed by "Details of Attraction" by Consonant which was followed by "Chromium" by The Church which was followed by "The Mule" by the Magic Numbers... Some nice listening music when you are sitting around on a Sunday afternoon updating your blog in a vain attempt to answer those "why haven't you updated your blog since your birhtday?" emails.

The Pandora site offers two versions: A paid concept in which you are spared pop-up ads and a free site that features ads that I don't pay any attention to since I am listening to the music...

I am also attempting to fight off the latest cold which began to impact me Saturday night. I had an aborted one in November during Thanksgiving weekend which I battled with Airborne. Mary just caught a hellacious cold after our return from Las Vegas which I thought I had ducked. So, here is my remedy for the onset of a cold:

• Airborne, or the Walgreen's equivalent Wal-borne every three hours. These are effervescent tablets that you mix with water for a Tang-like experience. Developed by an elementary school teacher, this is a homeopathic remedy which is alleged to boost your immune system. I say it works.

• 2000 mgs. of Vitamin C.

• Two multi-vitamins.

• Echinacea capsules.

• Ice cream. It just makes me feel better.

To this regimen, I add the Hall's Defense Harvest Cherry lozenges with zinc, Vitamin C and echinacea and I am also the house guinea pig for Oscillococcinum.

The cold has no chance.


More later,


Mark

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Holy cow - I can't recall you every being sick. My defense is Polish Potato Vodka, tonic water and lime. Thanks very much, I think I'll have one right now.

Cheers!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us NFLShop.com Memorabilia
NFLShop.com