Monday, March 20, 2006

The good, bad, ugly...

Well, there's good and bad in the March Madness front today.

On the good side: Bradley. All hail Bradley University!

On the bad side: My bracket entry is in shambles. I only picked nine correct teams in the Sweetwood 16. I still have six alive in the Elite Eight and three of the Final Four. When Duke wins, that means I'll just be beat by everyone else who picked Duke but who fared better in the early rounds.

But: If good ol' BU knocks off Duke in the Final Four, we'll all go down in flames together and the elementary school librarian (i.e. my sister) who picked George Mason because the name reminded her of a renown children's author will win like she wins every year.

Which just goes to prove that there's usually little logic to or lessons which can be derived from these NCAA basketball tourney bracket competitions. Yet, we're drawn to the annual spring ritual like politicians to sleazy ads.

Speaking of such, I wasn't inclined to vote for Jim Oberweis in the Republican gubernatorial balloting Tuesday. Then the strident Phyllis Schlafly called me to extoll Oberweis' virtues and implicating herself into Illinois politics in an ugly manner. Even though it was just a recording, it was almost enough to get me to pull a Democratic ballot...

If I did, and I won't, I would have to cast my vote for Edwin Eisendrath for governor because a.) He's not Blago; b.) His TV ads are sharp and amusing; c.) He actually spent some time on his website addressing issues.

More later,


Mark

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I'm out....I had two stupid teams I never even heard of in the office drawing. They were both eliminated in the first round. No need to buy a lottery ticket this week!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us NFLShop.com Memorabilia
NFLShop.com