Friday, April 13, 2007

Chicago Is So Two Years Ago

Today's Tune is from the outstanding Fall Out Boys. Obviously, it was an ironic selection.

Has it really been two years? I mentioned to Tom Shaw this week that the decision to embark on a new direction seems both like such a long time ago and as fresh as yesterday.

That's the thing about getting older, I guess. Time seems so compact these days.

I have always been fortunate in my journey to accumulate many good friends and friendly acquaintances along the way. I draw inspiration from so many great people and their continued camaraderie. So many others have embarked on their own journeys to new, amazing successes. It is a constant source of pride.

In two years, I've started a book, found new meaning in being a husband, discovered a blog, took a new job, moved 1,400 miles and today I find myself exactly where I wanted to be: Eager to learn with lots to contribute. And, in Florida.

And I think I like this Mark Sweetwood a heckuva lot more than that guy from a couple of years ago. It is enormously easy to forget what's really important when caught up in the pressures of the day; when you feel that you, alone, must solve the world's problems. I hope everyone who needs to gets a chance to learn that lesson before it is too late.

Thanks to all of you out there who weather my frequently weary tomes (even you lurkers with masked IP's!) and keep coming back to Mark's World. This page is a blast and I am glad so many of you continue to stop by to read and/or chime in. It couldn't be Mark's World without you!

More later,


Mark

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

It's hard to believe it has been two years. The phrase, "When a door closes, a window opens", may seem trite but it is true. The situation you found yourself in two years ago channeled you into the best decision you could have ever made for your life going forward. I don't think you fully appreciate how difficult it was on the staff when we realized that "Sweetwood had left the building."

And yes, I've seen many people caught up in the pursuit of the career and prestige at the expense of other important aspects of their lives. I've seen leaders who would step on everyone to puff themselves up. I never believed you to be one of those who garner self esteem from title or power. It was always about doing a job, doing a good job and best of all, astonishing our customers!

I've said to you in private many time and now for the masked ISP's - I've worked a very long time and from an employees standpoint I've never encountered a leader who better understood what it takes to create a real team and authentic morale. If you impart at least some of your knowledge in your book it will be a success. You also have the ability to cut through the crap. You know how much I hate those "Emperor's New Clothes Games"!!!

I wish you continued success and happiness.....and no, there's never a dull moment in Mark's World.

Mark M. Sweetwood said...

Wow, Suzanne, That's very, very nice. I'm blushing! I am not sure I can live up to that assessment but I sure will try. One of the great experiences in my life was to work with the great Chronicle team for those three years. There were so many great folks who were willing to do pretty much anything that was needed to overcome some pretty tall odds. The entire staff was a constant source of inspiration. I am glad we got to work together then and that we can blog together now!

sdazzle said...

Time flies when you're REALLY having fun. It's amazing the direction that many lives have taken after walking out of the cloud which cast a giant shadow of self-doubt. It's freeing to see that there is more to life than shallowness and egos. Once you step from those shadows and are able to see again, it's easy to recognize what's really important--friends and family. Luckily a lot of good people have moved on and found how GOOD life really is.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us NFLShop.com Memorabilia
NFLShop.com